Saturday, October 27, 2012

Breaking the 8 lb barrier

 
   We have been creeping up on this number for a month! Every morning I weigh M on the hospital provided scale. It is part of a home monitoring program @ CHOP for interstage babies. We send his oxygen saturations,  his pulse, his daily intake, and the dreaded weight. I tie so many emotions up in his weight - mostly fear that despite my best efforts - pumping around the clock and only giving him the calorie and fat rich hind milk almost every hour- he will lose weight and we'll have to supplement his milk with formula or feed him continuously via a tube down his throat or in his stomach. I also feel frustration, and a deep sadness that this innocuous number - this thing that happened in my girls at an easy and embarrassingly high rate (they were technically obese Michelin like babies - is such an important thing for Macsen and reveals how well he's doing - or not doing with his unique heart.  
But today I felt JOY!!! And happiness and ecstatic-ness and such relief - he's 8 lbs!!!! It's taken us a month to gain the weight he gained before surgery and lost in the days following and now we have exceeded it! I've never been so ready for one of my babies to outgrow their clothes - so ready to get rid of all the newborn clothes. 

5 comments:

  1. Go Macsen!!!! Yay milk! Still praying for y'all. You're all rock stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for Macsen and all of you! You should all celebrate such wonderful news! I know you can do it, just keep it going!! This news has made us all so, so happy!!! Love you sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT JOB MAMA and Macsen!!! I know the feeling all too well!!! There is a TON of pressure put on you, and it does stink! But you are doing GREAT! Keep it up! E

    ReplyDelete
  4. WooHoo!! Go Macsen, go mommy! - Have faith and be patient. We're still praying for him (and all of you) round-the-clock! Much love and positive energy. Martha.

    ReplyDelete