Friday, December 7, 2012

More good news

Our little fluffy monkey is 11 weeks old today!

Good news today - great news actually. But first a little context. When Macsen was born I barely got to see him. I held him for a brief instant on my chest still warm from my body and then they passed him through the window. Aaron watched them checking him over, inserting his umbilical lines and when I asked him "What do you see? how does he look? Is he ok?" He said "He's really chubby. He has a really fat neck." Macsen was 2 lbs lighter than his sisters so chubby wasn't what I was expecting to hear. And when I saw him again on his way to the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit down the hall he did have a lot of fat behind his neck. It was odd looking but I was quickly over it as he was looking me in the eye making sure he had made the right choice in choosing us as parents. I didn't want to let him down.
Later when we were gathered around his isolette oohing and ahhing over his perfectness a geneticist - CHOP's Director of Clinical Genetics Dr Zackai came in and started doing an exam - she was examining him for a syndrome that could explain the fat behind his neck. A genetic syndrome called Noonans and Charge. She found a few markers - the fat, the spacing between his nipples, his hairline in the back but not much more than that. Still, she felt the need to order genetic material be taken during his upcoming open heart.
I was devastated. We had an amnio and a microarray while pregnant which ruled out about 1500 genetic abnormalities. I got these tests not because they would have made me abort Macsen but because I didn't want any more surprises. I was prepared for his heart and to have this sprung on us felt overwhelming in the hours after childbirth. I was a little depressed that night but I rallied and we moved on.
It's been 10 weeks today since his surgery and in the interim I have been doing research on Noonans. I joined a Noonans group on FB and started meeting other families that had children with it sure that no news was bad news and wanting to be prepared for the phone call saying "Yes, your son has Noonans." I didn't want to break down - didn't want to let him down. I wanted to say "Ok. I have looked into this. I am prepared. Now what's the next step." So today we get the phone call and no Noonans. Or CHARGE. Or any other known syndrome. Phew.  It means his heart defect is most likely just a spontaneous mutation and not something he would pass down to any future children. That's amazingly good news too.
I am feeling blessed. Again. And I am feeling.... a little more informed... that's not the word. A little more educated maybe in that I now know something about this percentage of the population 1 in 1500-2000 or an estimated 200,000+ people in the US that are living with Noonans. There is so much I never knew after having 2 perfectly healthy kids - I never knew that congenital heart defects kill more children than all the childhood cancers combined, or that 1 in 100 babies is born with a heart defect. Isn't that crazy. Those are big numbers and I never knew to worry. Maybe that's a good thing - not to worry your whole pregnancy about what can go wrong - but it's also good to be aware.
So we are moving forward. Still no date for his next open heart surgery but the doctor told me today she should have a date for us in the next 2 weeks. Great. Merry Christmas to us. It will be good to know. good to start planning and getting ready. Ready to have it behind us and looking forward to a few happy years with no surgeries before his 3rd one.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Lord, for all the blessings we really need to keep going. I know Macsen will continue to do well because he is a very strong baby, loved to pieces, and prayed for by so many kind people. Prayers and lit candles keep us all going and will contnue to do so. There is so much love for Macsen and family, how can we go wrong!!!!!!! Love you baby boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie-oop, you are amazing. I'm reading this post and I'm overcome with emotions. You inspire me, in so many ways, but, especially because I was there! I too saw the roll behind his neck, I saw the non-verbal conversation held between 2 nurses regarding his neck, and I worried but you set the tone. There's no way you let Macsen down, no way. He's as lucky/blessed to have you & Aaron as parents as you two are to have him and I'm blessed to have been able to be a part of the beginnings... can't wait to see you again! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest child! Having spent the three weeks with you and the children that i did I must say that you and Aaron are an inspiration. You are so connected and forthright taking every day as it comes with a positivety and even a joy I found amazing.It was a priviledge. love Mum

    ReplyDelete