Monday, May 21, 2012

And the hits just keep on coming

Just got back to the hotel after 8 hours @ CHOP. 2 hour ultrasound, 2 hour echo of his heart, genetic counseling and then the culmination - meeting in a tiny room with 8 experts/fellows/counselors etc.  So I didn't get my wish - Macsen doesn't fall into those "normal" stardard risk HLHS patients. In addition to having an almost non-existent left ventricle, non functional mitral valve, he also has a severely abnormal tricuspid valve and deformed right ventricle. This is really bad. We were counting on the right  side of his heart to do all the work after his surgeries. All the surgeries doctors have developed for HLHS rely on  a functioning tricuspid valve and right ventricle. Macsen's tricuspid valve is elongated and juts pretty far into the right ventricle and the doctor said there are "things radiating off of it." He's never seen anything like it and he's the expert. He can't tell us if it will hold and continue to function because he's never seen anything like it. He did say that if the valve starts to leak there is nothing they can do for Macsen - nothing.... sob. He may even die inside me if that happens. And after he's born if his valve fails then our options are palliative care (a term I didn't even know existed until 2 weeks ago that means watching your baby die) or trying to get a transplant - which he didn't think was very probable. And these are the guys that give everyone hope when other doctors tell parents to give up.
So if Macsen makes it to birth and if his valve holds and somehow functions then he will get his first surgery within  a few days of birth and then he has maybe a 50% chance of surviving until his next surgery.... But because his valve is so unusual who knows what will happen.
Just when I had kind of gotten a handle on this HLHS diagnoses we get this one... it doesn't even have a name I can google... there are no websites devoted to hopeful stories of kids that have beat this diagnoses. The team couldn't really give me any hope... I need some hope. I need some to be able to face 3 more months of carrying my little boy who I may never get to know.................................

16 comments:

  1. Oh Alex. I don't even know what to say. I am sobbing here at home. I wish I had something to say that was even close to the comfort you need. I wish I could give you even an inkling of the hope you are reaching out for. It seems so empty to say that miracles do happen, but they do. What I can say is that as I'm typing, I am looking at two of the most beautiful blessings you already have. And they love you with all of their hearts. They are so very proud of their Mommy. Not only will they be there for you the next few months, I will. I will pledge and promise you that commitment. I love you and hope that you are able to get some sort of comfort tonight to sleep before coming home tomorrow. Love you bunches. Love, BWW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex and Aaron - I'm totally crying for you now. I do wish I had some words of wisdom, but all I can say is I'm praying for your family and if there is anything I can do, please call. Katherine Oglesby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! . My heart hurts for you and me too. I'm always there for you, whatever you need. Love you two so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O Dearest Alex and Aaron, I am so sorry to hear this. Please know that God has his way to change things if it is meant to be it will be. I am praying for little Macsen with all my heart and soul. Fatima

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex and Aaron - please know that I have the entire Legion of Mary, and my whole parish praying for all of you. Love you all. Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh guys I'm praying for you!! if you need anything like if you need me to watch the girls or the pets anything call me & I will do everything i can do! Love yall!
    Brach Chilson(Lady)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex and Aaron, We are so sorry to hear this! Our hearts ache for you. We wish we had words that would give you comfort. Look to God for the comfort you need even though it may seem that He has deserted you. He has not and He loves Macsen just as you do. We are still praying for all of you. Please let us know if there is anything we can do-anything at all. Ed and Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the others, I wish I had the right words to give you that hope. We'll keep the prayers coming. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are no words, just know that we love all of you with all our hearts and we will also keep the prayers coming. Samie, Katerina, Kira, Kohner and Caedon

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry, I will pray for you and all of your family
    Catherine (Donna's mum)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alex, so sorry to hear this! There aren't any words I can say to make things better. Just know God is with you through this all and has his hands over you guys. Miracles can and DO happen and will be praying for you and Macsen. Keep your faith and stay strong! Lots of love being sent your way!
    Ashley Collins

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will be praying for your precious son. I would encourage you to join the Heart Mamas group on Facebook for support as well. My son has HRHS and is doing well, but I remember all the scary times that we just didn't know what tomorrow would bring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alexandra, for some reason, I can't get your email to work for me. Cubby LaHood in DC thought we can help you during these next few months. We don't have a team in AL, but we can certainly help you from afar. With the more recent news of uncertainty around the prognosis - you are part of a larger community of parents who have to try to prepare for any and all outcomes. It's tough stuff, but you are certainly not alone in that. Come June 11 yrs ago, I had a prenatal dx of HLHS, which we later learned was HRHS (7 defects). Looking forward to hearing from you! Monica (monica@benotafraid.net)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alex and Aaron, I wish I could offer more words of hope and comfort. I am here for you if you need help with the girls, meals, etc. You are in my constant thoughts and prayers. Love Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Alex, my heart aches for you! I don't really know what else to say other than I will be praying for baby Macsen, you, and your family! I know I am thousands of miles away waaay up here in Alaska, but if there is anything I can do to help in any way please let me know! Love, Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are in my prayers. I cannot begin to understand God's will, but I will be praying for a miracle.

    ReplyDelete