Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Overnight stay

Last night Macsen had to stay overnight in the CPRU because they did some surgical interventions during the cath. It was a really rough night with not 1 but 2 12 lead (12 tiny stickers and tiny clips) EKGs overnight. That meant twice a nurse came in and had to wake my exhausted sleeping boy and attach all those stickers, make him lie still then take all those stickers off.
It turns out I was right and the Digoxin was messing up Macsen's heart. It sent him into 1st degree heart block - it affects the way his heart is signaling and delaying the contraction of his atrium. My little man has been telling us for weeks that his heart was "beeping funny." I reached out, I asked his cards but it wasn't enough. I should have brought him in to get an EKG. Researching now and it looks like he should have been getting blood draws to check the levels in his blood and also me reporting what he described as his heart "beeping funny" should have raised some red flags that he might be suffering for arrhythmias - a known side effect of Digoxin and one that should have prompted his cards to investigate immediately. I am not happy. I am very concerned we may have really hurt his heart. More research reveals sometimes people need a pacemaker placed after Digoxin Toxicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment