Friday, June 14, 2013

Dreamed of my old cradle

I dreamed of my old cradle last night. It was my dads - and I think maybe his dads- when he was a baby - which sounds unsafe - but the entire thing was made of tightly woven/welded metal - like lattice but with wire - no room for baby heads or hands to get caught. We all used it but I guess it has been lost all these years later. It rocked, was very sturdy/heavy, was big enough so the baby had room to move but small enough to go by the bed.   It's crazy when you are dwelling on something - trying to figure out some way to help Mr sleep- and something shows up in your dreams. Something you haven't seen for 30 years. Macsen still rotates between his swing and our bed all night. Trust me - I've read the parenting books and my girls never slept in their swing at night but they didn't need to. They didn't retch and choke and need to be propped all night either. And if, like someone commented, he needs a swing to sleep when he's in college (oh to know he'll be with us that long!!!!!) I'll buy him a hammock. Sorry so touchy - lack of sleep is not my friend. At 8 months old he is only 14 lbs and still eats every 2 hours or less. He is still slowly gaining, and besides after surgery has never lost weight so i don't want to mess with his need to eat often. Heart baby's need up to 50% more calories then healthy babies. He needs his calories but I need sleep too. Still not a cuddler like our girls who could sleep as long as they were touching me I think he may sleep better in his own space-- or that's my current theory- and by better I mean anything longer than an hour. We have tried our old co-sleeper - basically a pack and play attached to our bed- but because he kicks and flails in his sleep he wakes himself up in it - it's not very sturdy and is very.... Zuzzy.... Like running your fingers across tent material... Loud. He has a crib all set up in his own room but because he still wakes so often, often needing me to swoop him up because he is choking, us sleeping in different rooms is out. Bring crib in our room? No says Aaron - too big.  Lately i feel like my brain is a sieve so its nice to know its trying to work for me:) Reminding me of my cradle.  I'll troll Craigslist for a cradle - maybe this will be the magic bullet that helps him sleep more peacefully. I can hope.
Besides the sleep issues and retching/vomiting Macsen seems great. We are working everyday on sitting, rolling, tummy time (which gets a little more bearable each time) reaching his arms overhead, and trying to get him to stand. Baby food is tough - he gags constantly and often ends up bringing up everything over a fleck of puree swallowed sideways. He loves cups - reaching for mine  and softly hooting to let me know he wants it. He loves  to take sunglasses off me and will gently hand them back so I can put them back on - over and over. He also loves to pretend to throw things out of the tub - cackling and mimicking me when I wag my finger and say "Uh, uh, uh."
I am going to try to make some lactation cookies because after months of barely eating 20 oz/day Macsen is consistently eating over 30 - of hindmilk. And because I have to pump for him my body didn't get the memo yet that he needs more! So I'll pump more often, drink more water and try these cookies http://www.mamaandbabylove.com/2013/06/06/amazing-delicious-gluten-free-lactation-cookies/ The ingredients were crazy expensive - priced almond meal lately?- and Aaron kind of freaked at checkout but its make more milk or start formula which is probably pretty expensive too.
We have a pediatric appointment on Monday. It's been a month and his dr would like to see him, hold him, cuddle him :) Then we'll go to his PT appt and show J how hard we've been working.
Video of MrMan laughing

3 comments:

  1. We have a cradle you can use. I quit using it with Reagan a few months ago. It was my brothers and I when we were babies and my grandma made the linens. Also- I make my own almond meal from raw almonds which saves me a lot of money ( use raw almonds from Sam's Club and use a mini "quisinart" to make them the consistency of flour (or close enough).
    You met one of my good friends, Angie Nixon, at Moe's. We would love to help you girl!! She said your girls hit it off with her girls just like mine hit it off with your girls last summer at the pool. The 6 girls together would have a blast. When you are up for it call, text or email me and we will get together on your's/Macsen's schedule so the girls can meet, play and hopefully we can start helping you in this journey :) Though you may be physically alone through much of this you have been lifted up in prayer on NUMEROUS occassions and will continue to be.

    Hope to hear from you! Holly Bailey

    931-494-1453
    sunnydayin97@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly!
    Thanks for the info on the almonds :) That shouldn't be too tough! And I should have known you would know those sweet girls. We would love to get together with all of you. Thank you for keeping up with us despite not hearing back. I really do appreciate the prayers and moral support you send our way xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexandra! I was just thinking about you yesterday...summer is flying by. Let's all get together & play at my house soon. Give me a call or text (253) 534-5030 and let me know what day/time would work best for you. I'll coordinate with Holly & her girls. We have a big back yard and a trampoline to keep all the girls entertained, and a fabulous coffee machine to keep the moms going. Would love to see you again and have a "real" visit and play date! Hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete