Monday, November 19, 2012

8 week checkup

Today we had M's weekly doctor appointment. He's gained 4 oz from last week putting him at 8 lb 14 oz. He has grown a tad longer - 21 inches now. So he's basically the size our girls were when we brought them home from the hospital. And I couldn't be prouder of him! We had to put him on another reflux med - Prilosec this time and it really seems to be working so far. He's not crying as much after he eats and after he spits up or burps.
He decided this past week that he no longer wants to nurse which makes me sad. We will keep trying but I won't push it until after his next surgery. We struggle so hard now to keep track of every ml of milk, every gram of weight gain or loss and nursing (though it was the easiest thing in the world with the girls)
I realized he is eating a lot- 650 ml or 20+ ounces/24 hr is a lot for an 8 weeker. He just burns through the calories because of his heart. He still eats every 90-120 minutes - even at night but I'm afraid to make him go longer. If he eats too much at once he throws up.
So much of our life revolves around feeding Macsen, burping Macsen, changing Macsen, pumping for Macsen then starting all over. My mom AKA Nonna drove down from Canada to try to help me keep up with everything else. It has been so great having her here to take the girls for walks, read to them, wash clothes and help me organize. One of the best things is she just sits with Macsen and gets him to eat eat eat! I told M's nurse in Philadelphia they need to send every interstage baby home with a pulse ox, a scale and a grandmother . . I won't want her to leave when she needs to go back home.
Also today Macsen rolled from his back to his side! At the doc's office. Aaron caught it all on video! It was so great.



1 comment:

  1. Macsen is the cutest thing! Love that hair and sweet, sweet face. Just want you to know that all of you have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since I spoke with you at the Vahovius party. Thank you for keeping this blog. Hang in there - rooting for you for some good sleep time as Macsen grows bigger and stronger!

    ReplyDelete