Monday, June 18, 2012

Today's appointment

Some of you know we went to Pensacola today for our requested cardiology appointment. After our appointment last time w/ the maternal medicine guys I feel a lot better about this one. It was at Nemours Childrens Hospital in Pensacola with Dr Mehta. She will probably end up being the baby's cardiologist if we are able to bring him back to Alabama. She (and the echo tech Cindy)  do the echo together and explain everything as you go along - so great when you're used to lying there and having the tech say "I can't really say anything. When the doctor comes in he'll tell you what he thinks."
  They pointed out the tiny aorta that we already knew about - it measured .26 when the pulmonary artery next to it measured 5 (they should be roughly the same.) It has retrograde flow meaning blood is going backwards in it which we knew also. The ductus is open and plenty of blood is getting to the baby - as long as it stays open. It naturally closes after birth and that is why we have to get him treated right at birth - to keep this open as long as we can with medications until his first surgery can be performed. She spent a while studying his tricuspid valve and was happy to tell us it is NOT leaking - great news. It is differant looking though and located further down than normal.  The DR did say she couldn't see the left ventricle at all - they had been able to see a tiny slit like area at CHOP but she couldn't even see that.No aortic valve or mitral valve.  She also said she feels the baby's heart is lying differently in the baby's chest - she was able to see blood flow in and out in the same plane on the echo which she said is impossible - usually. Hello, meet Macsen! His right ventricle looks different too  - she kept saying "primitive" and when you're talking about a power-plant to power a whole body primitive doesn't sound good - I see Flintstones feet running to power his car. Aaron thinks he's just a super baby that's adapting and changing his physiology to survive - crazy man - I love him so. Dr Mehta wanted to study the images more and will watch everything again in slow-mo and call us. We see her again in 3 weeks. She's also setting up an appt with Childrens in Atlanta so we can meet their team and tour their facilities. I don't want to rule them out yet. I know having the baby there and getting him treated there would be easier on me and my family - I just don't know if it's the best thing for Macsen. I'd like for them to see his heart and give me their ideas/odds/statistics.
   Great things from the past 2 days?

  •    The girls had a great time seeing their Uncle Sam who made us sushi - nothing raw for me - but all delicious. And his girlfriend Charlene brought them to a movie while we went to our appointment and then to Toy's for Us (the girls used to call it that and I can't let it go.) Such a blessing. It's hard talking about all of this with a doctor with your 5 and 3 year old in the room. 
  • We were able to celebrate Father's Day at the beach where Aaron got slightly crispy but found tons of cool shells.
  •  Dr Mehta loaned us a book "The Heart of a Child. What families need to know about heart disorders in Children." 
  • The room where we got our echo - where the baby will have to get echos as he gets older - was dimly lit w/ led candles flickering on the shelves and one of those motion aquarium lights. And a super comfortable bed - not an exam table. Such small things but so great.
      


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a much more positive experience. Macsen is strong and will do well. Dr. Mehta seems like a very caring, competent physician. Good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you all

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooooooooooooooo glad to hear that you left a Doc's appointment with some nice feelings! :) It's about time! And I'm with you on the exam room table and lights - seems like that is very soothing and already puts you in a calm mood when you are going through something not so calm. And not for nothing, but I like Aaron's version that he's adapting to his challenges and making it work for his body. Seems like a very positive visit...and selfishly, I'm kinda hoping Atlanta makes it into the top 2 on deciding where to go...I don't know how it would work with you but I see several Miller girl slumber parties in my future and I love it. :) Love to you all, BWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you had a good appointment. I can tell you that I didn't have an appointment like that at all while pregnant with Hope. Have any of the doctors you have seen mentioned Heterotaxy syndrome? His anatomy seems similar to some of the Heterotaxy kids I know. Your husband is kind of right though...our little ones are able to grow vessels and stuff to compensate for their 'special' hearts. Hope has grown collateral vessels to compensate for her small pulmonary artery. I am hoping you have many more appointments like the one you had. I am praying for you and your family and especially your little Macsen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome alex they're all still praying for you. Love Melanie, Jean, Nick and Raven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your little one. I came across your blog from the heart group on baby center. I'm 24 weeks along and found out our little boy has critical aortic stenosis which will most likely turn into HLHS. I'm due October 7th which seems like ions away. I feel like i'm in a bit of a daze right now as we were just told how severe it has become less than 24 hours ago. As much as I hate that anyone has to go through this it's been comforting to read your blog and experience your feelings on everything because they've mirrored my feelings since we first found out about our baby's heart issues at the 20w ultrasound. Anyway, I'll pray for your little one. It seems like such a long road ahead but we WILL make it! Sometime maybe we can talk together about it. I know it seems like such an odd request from a total stranger but talking with someone who is also experiencing a lot of the same could be comforting. Take care!

    ~Jean~

    ReplyDelete